[su-re.co venture] Back to the basic! Benefit of biogas




Dear everyone! I am Takeshi CEO and researcher of su-re.co.



For a project, we are writing sustainability production and consumption of livelihood and there is a section on biogas. So, I am writing some basic of biogas especially on benefits.

In the report, I learnt that some milling machines in Kenya have been designed to couple biogas generator to a hammer mill. The biogas driven Genset provides toque that drives the hammer mill instead of an electric motor. Few know enterprises are innovating this solution.


OK, back to the basic ;-)

=====

Biogas production is a biochemical process, which occurs without the presence of oxygen and uses bacterial action to convert complex compounds into simpler ones, producing a combustible gas. This as an integral and autonomous system. The manure from livelihood will be fed into a biogas digester which converts the manure into biogas and slurry. Farmers typically use biogas for cooking, cooling and other appliances. The slurry is used as high-quality organic fertiliser, increasing crop and cow fodder production, manure production, milk production, and ultimately income. 


Commonly known biogas technologies include fix-dome, floating drum and flexible tube and large-scale steel or concrete digesters. Fix-dome, floating drum and flexible tube digesters have been designed and installed both for domestic and commercial uses (su-re.co's biogas digesters are the latter). The large scale commercial biogas production and electricity generation often uses large-scale steel/dome digesters. Example of such is the Biojoule Kenya biogas plants in Naivasha using flower waste to generate biogas for electricity and Kilifi sisal plant biogas also for electricity generation (I use this example because of we are writing this report for African case). The plant located at Gorge Farm Energy Park supplies 50% of its 2.2MW generation capacity to the farm and the rest to Kenya Power (Bonface 2015).


Large scale (100 animals and above) dairy farmers can adopt the commercial biogas technology in a circular economy. With the government standardised feed-in tariff, the farmer can generate extra income from biogas production and electricity generation and sales to the grid.


Benefits

• Works independently from the electricity grid

• Reduces carbon emissions/ ecofriendly

• Stabilises the financial aspect of the dairy farm as it reduces power costs

• Improves farm waste managements

• Reduces in bought chemical fertiliser costs by utilising bio-slurry as sub-produced organic fertiliser

• Encourages circular economy


Limitations

• The initial cost is expensive




Our biogas digester focusing on the limitation mentioned above. We are trying to make our biogas digesters as cheap as possible. We have achieved 90% of reduction. Currently, we give away our biogas digester, but we hope to subside the remaining 10% by blockchain and carbon offset. Will see ;-)


10 views0 comments
 

Subscribe Form

+62 812-3831-727

  • Google Places
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

©2020 by su-re.co (Sustainability & Resilience) Gift-maker to the Earth. Proudly created with Wix.com